Ahhh, Christmas time! There’s a chill in the air of about 70 degrees, no snow on the ground, and Peppermint Mocha is in season. That’s how you know it’s almost time to open presents and spend time with loved ones here in Atlanta. If you’ve got family coming to visit this holiday season, don’t just sit around and stare at each other, go out and do something!
Not sure what to do? We’ve collected some ideas of great holiday fun for the whole family all around the city.
1. See the Sights, All Covered in Lights! From Centennial Olympic Park downtown to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens midtown, the city is covered in lights. Some are free to see, others charge a fee. I’ve turned into Dr. Seuss by accident… Don’t miss your favorite Atlanta attractions decorated for the Holiday Season.
2. Tour the Governor’s Mansion! Take on some political debating at Thanksgiving with your family? Why not stir the pot even more and take them to the helm of Georgia’s government! But seriously, it’s beautiful and packed with history. Make reservations for groups of 10 or more or just pop by Tuesday-Thursday between 10-11am.
3. Tour Callanwolde all dressed up in Holiday lights and designer décor. This beautiful Tudor Revival home is a real show stopper on a normal day, so check it out now to really be blown away!
4. See a Felt Rudolph Gallop About! If your guest list for Christmas includes children, a trip to the Center for Puppetry Arts is a must! Not only is there a remake of the stop motion Rudolph TV special, but they also have a new Jim Henson exhibit complete with Miss Piggy’s Treasure Island costume!!!!
5. Have Tiny Tim Melt Your (and Scrooge’s!) Heart. Head over to the Alliance Theater for the classic Charles Dickens tale “A Christmas Carol”. While you’re at it, make some hot chocolate and watch the Muppet version at home first. Gonzo and Rizzo perform their little felt hearts out!
6. Get Outside! Nothing is better than crisp winter air. If you aren’t familiar with the many trails in the city, check out the Chattahoochee National Park for starters. It’s close to the city, absolutely beautiful, and full of falling leaves, waterfalls, and nature all around. The perfect activity for burning off some of those cookies you ate and enjoying the outdoors.
7. Go Tubing! In the snow! Stone Mountain is only a stone’s throw away (hehe) and features a winter wonderland with snow tubing, lights everywhere, and much more for the whole family.
8. Make Apple Cider. Just north of the city, in the North Georgia Mountains, there are apple farms where you can pick your own apples! What a fun outing for the whole family. After that, try your hand at baking a pie or making your own cider. Cooking can be fun, especially when you do it together!
9. See A Holiday Movie. There are so many movies that come out on Christmas day, and while I’ve never been a fan of going to the movies on Christmas, if you’re feeling froggy or if you want to do something laid back on the 26th , stop by one of the area’s movie theaters with recliners! One trip to AMC Phipps Plaza, and you’ll never want to sit in a regular movie seat again. It’s advisable to reserve you seat in advance to make sure you get a spot.
10. Stay Home and Hang Out! Last but not least, spend some quality time together with your family and friends just hanging out and enjoying each other’s company. Pick up some board games or download a few on your smartphone like Ellen’s Head’s Up. It’s fun and makes hilarious videos of your family acting things out like cute little fools.
We hope you have some fun things planned with your family this holiday season. Do you have any great ideas for other things to do in the city this Christmas? Let us know in the comments!