On a hot summer Atlanta day, nothing is quite as refreshing as a glass of nice lemonade--except for a nice glass of limeade. Actually, better than that, a glass of blueberry thyme limeade! Even better still if you add a shot of icy cold vodka!
This beautiful summer cocktail is perfect for enjoying on a porch with your friends or even alongside a grilled meal. For extra style, dip the glass rim in lime juice and then sugar to make the rim extra tasty and pretty! Recipe follows.
BLUEBERRY THYME LIMEADE COCKTAIL
1/4 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of about 7 limes
3 cups ice water
10 sprigs of Thyme plus extra for garnish
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup plus 1/4 cup frozen blueberries (1/4 cup reserved)
1/2 cup good quality vodka (if desired)
- Start by making the limeade. Bring 1/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in sugar and lime zest, stirring until sugar is dissolved; remove from heat. Stir in lime juice and ice water. Crush a couple of sprigs of Thyme in the bottom of a pitcher, add the rest in tact, and fill the pitcher with Thyme. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Next, make the blueberry simple syrup. Heat 1/3 cup sugar with 1 cup frozen blueberries. Cook on medium heat until the blueberries begin to fall apart and the mixture thickens. Pour through a strainer into a sealable vessel and discard the blueberry skin. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or until very cool.
- Slowly pour the blueberry syrup into the limeade and stir to combine.
- If desired, add 1/2 cup of good vodka to the pitcher and continue stirring.
- To serve, rim a glass in sugar and if you like, toss is the remaining 1/4 cup frozen blueberries to the pitcher or put a few in each glass before serving. Fill the glass with icy cool Blueberry Thyme Limeade, add a thin slice of lime and a few springs of Thyme to stir and add to the scent experience.